Since I was a little girl I've been making dens....and don't think I'll ever stop..........



Friday 26 June 2009

Bubble wrap parka


There is a waterproof parka in the Pitt Rivers Museum in Oxford, made by Aleutian Indians. When you look closely, you can see that it's made from strips of walrus or seal intestines, carefully stitched together and embroidered.
My bubble wrap coat (above), is made from packaging.......... if you look into the bubbles, you can see the faces of children traumatised by Hurricane Rita.......I read an article in Time Magazine, it questioned if global warming is caused by landfill full of packaging..........and if global warming was responsible for the increased instance of hurricanes................
I thought how wasteful we are compared to those Indians..........the coat became a kind of oxymoron(though not in terms of speech....but to my confused mind.)....... the packaging causing the flood waters of 'rita' or 'katrina' that washed bodies away, and yet the parka could keep them warm and dry.......

No comments:

Post a Comment