Since I was a little girl I've been making dens....and don't think I'll ever stop..........



Sunday 16 May 2010

A TAXIDERMIST'S TATE MODERN

Liscious ( I think that's how you spell the name) on Walton Street in Jericho, always has the most amazing collection of vintage furniture, chandeliers, light fittings and contemporary artwork.

The window display never fails to attract my attention. Last month an antique kimono was strung across the window on a broom stick, whilst furniture from a selection of era's were carefully arranged with striking pieces of artwork. There's always something to make me look twice.
But I think the current window display takes the biscuit! I couldn't help but do an about-turn when I dashed past last Wednesday afternoon. The window was a taxidermist's Tate Modern! It was full of stuffed creatures, birds and mammals of all species, carefully nestled in a swathe of white netting. Juxtaposed against the back-drop of a huge nest-like chest, whose drawers, stuffed with grass and moss gave the whole window a kind of Dickensian, Great Expectationesque vibe......

I half expected to see Miss Havisham take a seat on this chair which looked as though it had been pecked by the pheasants. I loved it all......so theatrical...I can't wait to see what comes next

No comments:

Post a Comment