Since I was a little girl I've been making dens....and don't think I'll ever stop..........



Tuesday 10 November 2009

......the naghali......................

I should find out shortly.....mid-November, whether or not I've been short listed for a travelling fellowship from the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust.......so thought I'd better start doing some research........just in case I do actually get to put my case forward in January.

The topic came up a couple of weeks ago. Ahmad and I were having a coffee in East Oxford one Saturday morning, when I spotted a guy drawing small pen and ink cartoons at the next table. I couldn't resist asking him about them and the conversation soon evolved from Pentel Brush Pens, and whether or not I could ask Dom to send some from Japan, to the proposed trip to Iran.

It turned out that our new friend was not only well travelled and full of interesting anecdotes but also drew my attention to some colourful painted walls he'd seen on a monastery in Voronet, Romania, that have the same kind of storyboard feel to them that I'd explained the parda-dari has; and that probably there could be a thread leading across eastern Europe..........maybe the journey will have to be extended - a mini silk route........I'm fascinated by these early means of communication......a precursor to the PowerPoint presentation?

No comments:

Post a Comment