Since I was a little girl I've been making dens....and don't think I'll ever stop..........



Sunday 29 November 2009

Portobello Road




At last managed to get to Portobello Road...It's been an ambition since watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks! And reading articles in the Guardian, about models like Kate Moss who pick up little retro dresses for a song....
It's so easy to get to from Oxford...... I met Hannah outside Ladbroke Grove tube station just around the corner from Portobello Road, and we were soon in bric-a-brac heaven! There were stalls and shops selling all kinds of wonderful things...too much to take-in in a couple of hours....a great way to cheer up a dull winter afternoon.

I bought Hannah a lovely old fountain pen, we ate sushi and drank chrysanthemum tea, not joking, and couldn't leave without trying cupcakes in the Hummingbird Bakery. I have to say I was a little disappointed with the bakery, not the cakes, they were all they've been drummed up to be, ie.orgasmic; but we were given paper plates! I was expecting bone china at the very least.....

Then,as we were discussing a pen and ink drawing by one of the Brit artists (can't remember which one) in a tiny shop in Portobello Green, selling all kinds of lovely smelling herbs and soaps and skin potions; the owner offered to sell some of my drawings if I take them in....So I've got a really good excuse to go back....

No comments:

Post a Comment