Since I was a little girl I've been making dens....and don't think I'll ever stop..........



Tuesday 5 January 2010

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow........




It's another beautiful sunny day and I can actually hear the birds singing their little hearts out, but it's absolutely freezing cold, and heavy snow is forecast for tonight. 'A' is praying that it will be really heavy so he can have a snow day tomorrow, and that's after only one day back! Me too it's ages since I had a good snowball fight. But a shame because we'd planned to go and see Nine or
Sherlock Holmes tomorrow evening.
I thought that a spot of home baking should keep out the cold so raided the pantry for whatever fruit was available. I found apples, cranberries and peaches and made a flapjack crumble. It's so easy to make, you just cook the fruit with honey or sugar until soft and then put into an oven proof dish. Meanwhile melt equal quantities of butter and brown sugar(about 75 to 100gms), in a saucepan and add the same amount of oats. Mix together and put on top of the fruit. Then bake at 180 degrees centigrade for about half an hour. When it's ready it has a yummy, chewy, crunchy topping and is delicious with custard or homemade ice cream.


Even more comforting when eaten out of a set of 1930's Alfred Meakin desert dishes that belonged to my maternal grandmother.




No comments:

Post a Comment